Sunday, January 2

Comfort Food from the garden

Just before Christmas one of my clients asked if she could grow a nutmeg tree here in TN garden. (Not wanting to be too negative about it with an answer that I might later regret, I said I would look into it.)


After all, just because a plant is best suited elsewhere for climate or humidity concerns doesn't mean that it CAN'T grow here.  There was a gentleman in Clarksville who consistently proved me wrong in this regard. His name was Jimmy Glenn. Jimmy Glenn spent years and years growing trees in his garden that were indigenous to Asia, Australia and many other climes and was successful at it. Mind you, he had a great deal of patience and it was a passion for him.



 In other words, if you have money burning holes in your pockets, (for a greenhouse, for example) an inventive and experimental streak to try unusual things, and have lots of time on your hands, yes, you might be able to grow a nutmeg tree right here in Tennessee. For the rest of us, nutmeg can be found at the local grocery.

It is true. I grate nutmeg on just about everything I cook. It's fragrance permeates the air and that usually means comfort food is on the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment